Remember, remember the fifth of November
It’s kind of a weird holiday, which has me thinking about other weird holidays.
There is, naturally, a website dedicated to listing offbeat holidays. I couldn’t get past January.
Some of the more interesting holidays:
- January 2 – Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes. For some reason this one makes me think of flagpole sitters of the 1920s.
- January 3 has several: Festival of Sleep,(woo hoo!) Fruitcake Toss, and Humiliation Day, which means the opposite of what you would think it means. (Way to take the fun out life.)
- January 8 – Bubble Bath Day
- January 9 – Play God Day
- January 10 – Peculiar People Day
- January 12 – Feast of Fabulous Wild Men
- January 13 – International Skeptics Day
- January 16 – Appreciate a Dragon Day
- January 17 – Ditch your New Year’s Resolutions Day
- January 18 – Thesaurus Day
- January 20 – Penguin Awareness Day
- January 21 – Squirrel Appreciation Day
- January 27 – Chocolate Cake Day
- Last Monday in January – Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
So never fear: the fun doesn’t stop on New Year’s Day. The holidays are never-ending.